[rescue] Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks

leaknoil leaknoil at charter.net
Thu Aug 25 00:50:29 CDT 2011

On 8/24/2011 10:30 PM, Oliver Cromwell wrote: It looks like the industry
is filled with misleading terms like 'new pull' 'new bulk' and others
that are all just used drives that have been tested (or not). While I
would like to find 4-8 brand new drives for my SS20's and SS10's, it
looks like the cost is $100 - $200 for an entirely new drive. If anyone
has any suggestions or _trustworthy_ sources for a good drive, I'd
appreciate if you could mail me privately.. thanks everyone. I'm almost
wondering if I should just plug the old drives back in and use them..
they are just so loud and hot. Oliver

Why are you even worried ? You are playing around with a bunch of twenty
year old computers. Stop wasting money on it. There are probably 1000's
of  components in a SS20 abut ready to go. They might not but, they very
well could. They eventually will.

If you are worried about the hard drives failing in a ss20 you're not
really grasping what you are playing with. Those you can replace.
Everything else is in fact going and can't be replaced. It is just a
matter of when.