[rescue] Looking for a DEC VT-100 in Australia

Justin Haynes justin at justinhaynes.com
Sat Aug 13 15:40:51 CDT 2011

Rhys - in addition to recycling places, you might try auctions.  Probably
there won't be any left nowadays, but in Houston, TX where I used to live
before moving to Austin, TX; I was able to buy two palates of dumb terminals
for $20.  A total of 136 terminals.  Unfortunately, only the Sperry terminal
had an RS232 serial interface.  The rest were BNC connectors, and I imagine
spoke some mainframe serial networking protocol.  Sadly I disposed of them
as I had no space.  Also sadly, no recycling options I knew of were
available at the time in 2003.

The real tragedy is having gotten rid of a DECWriter III which I had been
given for free.  I saved it from destruction, and then left it at a resale
shop after I had had it for a couple of years.  there was something charming
about that lifestyle I had, logging into my friends linux box to check mail
and then hopping onto a bus with my 136 column printout of mail and
newsfeeds to read on the bus on the way to school. :-).

I'll keep my eyes open for vintage terminals.  If you find any in Austin, TX
I can pick up and ship for you.  I'm of the mind that things need to be
preserved where possible.  especially technology.  It becomes obsolete so
quickly, but it is just as much a part of our history as the pyramids or any
other more permanent monument to technology of the day.

-Justin