[rescue] Early Cisco/Grand Junction Catalyst default password

Lex Landa brooknet at imap.cc
Wed Aug 10 20:06:22 CDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 07:07 -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:

>     Does anybody happen to know what the factory-default password is
> for the very early Cisco Catalyst switches?  The Retro-Computing
> Society of Rhode Island (RCS/RI) have one in it its original "Grand
> Junction" packaging that identifies itself as a Cisco and we recently
> did a "reset to factory defaults" which overwrote our own passwords
> to the thing and we can't seem to find any real hints on the Web save
> for "Call Cisco".

I had a look around the web and found this excerpt from a book on
configuring Cisco switches.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=25172&seqNum=5

It says that no default password is set, and one is evidently set on
your switch.  An earlier chapter suggests that you may be able to upload
a config file via TFTP, but the switch would maybe need to be enabled to
allow this.

The above page also discusses password recovery.

I hope this is of help!  I should probably mention that I don't have a
Cisco switch, or know anything about them - I was just reading the
Rescue List and I noticed that this topic hadn't had any replies.

Lex