[rescue] 3ware raid

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:03:34 CDT 2011

On Jul 27, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Zachary Giles wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I thought that after about FreeBSD 7.3, they fixed up the ZFS support
> to be rather stable. Would you agree?
> How about FreeBSD 8.. I hear that's even more stable..
> I'm concerned about using something that's not Solaris and am thinking
> about just buying a couple Marvell 88SX6081 (Sun X4500 controllers) to
> make everything fly...
> Thoughts?

I know of a small web site consulting/hosting service that is using FreeBSD
8.2 in production as well as Solaris 10 u9.  All of their storage is running
on ZFS.

I'm considering switching to FreeBSD from Solaris at home, but need to do a
little more research regarding the use of compression and CPU impact.  On
Solaris, if you are not CPU bound due to workload, turning on compression has
a negligible impact, and improves overall performance of ZFS.  As a result, I
have compression on for all my datasets.