[rescue] Moving Sun servers?

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Fri Apr 29 08:28:04 CDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> Hard drives don't care which direction they're mounted in. Many
> computers mount the drives vertical anyway. For example, the Sun A5000
> disk array mounts all 14 drives vertically. Most cheap consumer Dell
> pee-cees mount the hard disk up on end behind the front panel of the
> computer. Hard drives generally don't like being moved while they're
> spinning, but they'll happily work in any orientation without damage.

    Back in the '80s, I remember people telling me that after a hard drive
had been running in one orientation for a long time, it was unwise to turn
the system so the drive was in a different orientation.  Was there any
truth to this, or was it just an urban myth?  Something about the
bearings, as I recall.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/