[rescue] Moving Sun servers?

vintagecoder at aol.com vintagecoder at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 07:18:04 CDT 2011

Thank you very much, Lionel! Few comments below

> Lionel

>> On Apr 29, 2011, at 3:56 AM, "Vintage Coder" <vintagecoder at aol.com>
>> wrote:

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have stumbled onto a cache of rack mount Sun servers and since I know
>> virtually nothing I want to check if there are any issues moving and
>> storing these machines.
>>
>> Do they have to be carried level or can I just grab one at a time and
>> carry it without worrying?

> Just carry without concern.

Thanks! I moved another machine one time and I remember the guy telling me
several times "make sure to keep it upright!" I have been paranoid ever
since. I don't really have much at all in the way of large computers so
this is all new to me.

>> I don't have a rack and I am tight on space so I plan to stack them 3 or
>> 4 high on each other until I come up with a better setup, will that be a
>> problem?

> Should be fine - there should be no cooling issues that way, but I would
> be sure and provide for adequate air flow in front and behind the servers
> - they'll want a supply of cooler air in front and they will be blowing
> warmer air out the back... Maybe consider a small fan blowing air away
> from the back (table top fan pushing warm air away from the back of the
> machines.

Thanks, that's great.. I'll be able to give them room on all sides.

>> Anything else to look out for?

> If possible, secure rack rails now, they can be expensive to buy on their
> own.

Thanks for reminding me. I'll ask but I'm not sure what I'll get!