[rescue] Moving Sun servers?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 06:02:47 CDT 2011

Lionel

On Apr 29, 2011, at 3:56 AM, "Vintage Coder" <vintagecoder at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have stumbled onto a cache of rack mount Sun servers and since I know
virtually nothing I want to check if there are any issues moving and storing
these machines.

> Do they have to be carried level or can I just grab one at a time and carry
it without worrying?

Just carry without concern.

> I don't have a rack and I am tight on space so I plan to stack them 3 or 4
high on each other until I come up with a better setup, will that be a
problem?

Should be fine - there should be no cooling issues that way, but I would be
sure and provide for adequate air flow in front and behind the servers -
they'll want a supply of cooler air in front and they will be blowing warmer
air out the back... Maybe consider a small fan blowing air away from the back
(table top fan pushing warm air away from the back of the machines.

> Anything else to look out for?

If possible, secure rack rails now, they can be expensive to buy on their
own.

> I'm sure I will have more questions when I get them over here!

Have fun!