[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Sep 13 08:13:05 CDT 2010

On Monday, September 13, 2010, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I will share that I have spent countless hours hunting down libraries
> and other files "after the fact" once said systems have been in
> place/production for a while, then some application support or DBA
> person needs some file, library, language set, etc. to get their new
> or upgraded application going again.
>
> In my experience, the place I have seen "everything including the
> kitchen sink" loaded has been in the linux arena.  I qualify this to
> only my own personal linux observations, which are limited.  I have
> no doubt that someone on the list who makes their living working
> with linux can counter my comments within this paragraph and make
> similar comments to my first (3) paragraphs.

On the contrary, I use Debian just about whenever I can, do a minimal
install, and NEVER have ANY problem locating libraries or programs that
are included in the distribution.  The only time I do have problems are
when I find something that a "do everything" install wouldn't have got
installed in the first place, because it's not in Debian.

Why? Because Debian has a great package manager, which makes it easy to
find stuff, and install it along with all of its dependencies.  Before
Solaris got Oraclized, that was my main complaint against Solaris -
everyone I know seems who does Solaris for a living seems to spend all
their time compiling everything they want to use, so machine upgrades
and deployments take forever.

Ok, I'm done evangelizing for today now. :)

Pat