[rescue] Solaris 9/10 is out

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:06:02 CDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> I'll entirely agree with the complaints about the Sun installer.  What I'd
> like to see is an installer that lets me pick from a list of tasks I want
> the system to perform, and then automatically resolves the package
> dependency list for those toplevel tasks.  For instance, if I pick "Java
> Application Server (Tomcat)", then I automatically get Tomcat, Apache and
> all their dependencies.

You mean like the "category" part of the package installer?  I am not
sure what level of smarts the current installer has.

> I'd also like to see a couple of options added to pkgrm - a recursive
option
> to automatically also remove all packages dependent upon a package, and a
> 'pretend' option. Using the two together should produce a report something
> like "Removing this package (SUNWfoor) would also remove the following
> packages:  SUNWfoou SUNWfoos SUNWbarr SUNWbaru SUNWbars SUNWbaz..."

>From the man page:

pkgrm will remove a previously installed or partially installed
package from the system. A check is made to determine if any other
packages depend on the one being removed. If a dependency exists, the
action taken is defined in the admin file.

So it sounds like you just need to make it easy to create an admin
file on the fly (immediately before running pkgrm) .

This page may also prove helpful.

http://sunfreeware.com/pkgadd.html

HTH, Patrick