[rescue] ohno.mrbill.net / sunhelp might be going away

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Oct 27 16:53:01 CDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 2:37 PM, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 12:22 PM 10/27/2010, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>> Now they want me to start paying full price.  Looks like it's going to be
>> $158/month, for 1U of rack space and 1megabit sustained bandwidth.
>
> Any idea how much transfer you normally use in a month?  Disk space
> required?  I'm just wondering (ever the cheapskate here) if a VPS (such
> as prgmr.com: 320 GiB transfer, 48 GiB disk for $36/month) might work.
>
> Someone check my math, but I think 1 mbit sustained works out to about
> 320 GiB/month.

Yes and no.

IF you completely used 100% of the bandwidth 24x7, yes, it would be
about 320GB .

Realistically however, 1Mbps is closer to about 190GB.  This accounts
for peak and off-peak usage, bandwidth delay product, etc.

I used to have a really awesome link that explains all this, but it
seems to be gone now:

http://inconcepts.biz/cr/95th.html

let's check the archive.org cache:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080505053314/http://inconcepts.biz/cr/95th.html

Ah, there it is...sorry if I am being pedantic.

Cordially

Patrick