[rescue] U5 coming, looking for some advice

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 20:34:38 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>wrote:

> On 10/24/10 18:09, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> > " From: hike <mh1272 at gmail.com>
> > "
> > " check the oracle site--someone said that hobbyist licenses were the
> same as
> > " with sun.
> >
> > the big difference is that oracle has completely cut access to patches
> > for hobbyists without money.  you can't even get java updates, which
> > are still free for windows and linux.
>
> It's almost as though Oracle were trying to, you know, either kill off
> or monetize the hobbyist segment, or something like that...

I'd go with monetize.  I suspect that Oracle saw Sun as a company who made
great products but didn't know they could make money from them. Still, I
think it is possible to take something too far.

Even Microsoft figured out eventually that restricting access to
> security patches was bad for *everyone*.

True, but how much of that came from the fact that unpatched Windows systems
were a pain to everyone while an unpatched Solaris system is only a pain to
its owner/admin.

That said... I found a SunPCI card in my project pile. Unfortunately, I
don't have the necessary SunPCI 1.3 software nor does it appear to be
downloadable on Oracle's site (at least not without a support agreement).
 Would I be breaking list rules to ask if anyone has a copy?

John