[rescue] Major score!!!! Plus - all my Sun stuff is up for grabs.

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 18:36:14 CDT 2010

Congrats.  I ran a cluster of these at LANL years ago and it was a pretty
sweet system.  Insted of the traditional router brick interconnect, we
connected the individual 3400's with Myranet.  I think there were two R
Bricks and the rest was Myranet.  I was told the original purpose of the
system was for exploration of interconnect technologies, but at $1.9M I
think that's kinda crazy (which makes perfect sense given the context).
When I got my hands on the racks, they were fresh out of warranty.  Still
shrink wrapped on pallettes stored just inside the loading dock for three
years!  Enjoy the system.  The OS installs real easy and there were no
"gotchas".  If you can install IRIX on an Indigo or O2 or Octane, then
you're in business.   That being said, installing IRIX is a royal PITA if
you're not used to it.  Not intuitive at all.  SGI alwyas had good docs
though.

-Bob