[rescue] Using a Fire V240 as a desktop...

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 18:35:59 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>wrote:

> On 11/29/10 17:43, Caleb Cupples wrote:
> > Anyway, I'm off to decide what to run on this beast, since I'm having
> > trouble deciding between Solaris 10, OpenSolaris and Debian.
>
> You have a pretty-much-definitive ideal Solaris 10 box there....  :)
> I'd personally think putting Debian on it would be a waste of the
> hardware.  But YMMV.

I'm inclined to agree. Instead of OpenSolaris, though, what about Solaris 11
Express?

The basic Sol 11 Express text install went very smoothly on my U5. My only
issue has been with getting X and gnome installed and configured. (I can't
seem to figure out the right meta-packages to get all the dependencies, but
you have much later hardware than I do.)

John