[rescue] Using a Fire V240 as a desktop...

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 16:49:25 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Caleb Cupples <cscupples at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Bob <rjtoegel at verizon.net> wrote:
>> B  Heck, some one could get a higher degree in Psychology just studying
>> B  this phenomena especially the "d'oh" reaction after you realize how
>> B  simple it was.
>>
>> B  Bob
>
> Please, don't tempt me to do that with my Psych degree, because I've
> given it a bit of thought.
>
> Anyway, I'm off to decide what to run on this beast, since I'm having
> trouble deciding between Solaris 10, OpenSolaris and Debian.
> --
> C. Scott Cupples
> Psychology Undergraduate
> Jackson State Community College
>
> Phone: 731.607.0668
> Email: cscupples at gmail.com

I'm running FreeBSD on my v210 and loving it. Support is pretty good,
although I had to upgrade to the development kernel to stop some weird
hangs (the fix may be in the main kernel now too). I use it as a
server, so I have no idea what the graphics support is like. I'm not
sure what the v240 sounds like, but my little v210 sounds like a jet
taking off, with gentle "vroom-vrooOM-vrooOm" oscillations in the
noise... definitely a closet-dweller.

John