[rescue] dumb Opteron 8xx question

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Nov 20 12:44:20 CST 2010

On Friday, November 19, 2010, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>  Stupid question I know, but...
>
> Can an Opteron 8xx CPU be run in a system meant for a 2xx CPU?  For
> instance, you have a system with 2 sockets for Opteron 250; can you
> put 2x Opteron 850's into it?

Yes.  You can use higher series CPUs in lower socket-count systems just
fine.  People usually didn't, because the 8xx chips were really pricy.

One exception is that you can't shove a Socket 940 opteron into a Socket
939 socket, for obvious reasons. :) Ok, well maybe you can remove the
extra pin, and make it work, but it's not something I'd try.

Pat