[rescue] SPARCEngine AXi NVRAM problem

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 09:43:56 CST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Steve Hatle <shatle at nfldinet.com> wrote:

> On 11/20/10 7:28 AM, "John Ruschmeyer" <jruschme at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As I may have mentioned, I am trying to set up a SPARCEngine AXi board
> which
> > has been sitting in my project pile for some time.
>

> > Help! Has anybody seen a problem like this before? Any suggestions as to
> > what to try or how to fix it?
>
> I'm not in a spot to be able to dig for the answer, but I seem to recall
> from that era that there is a step at the end to recalculate the checksum
> on
> the NVRAM.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong- it's happened before :-)

 No, you are right and I did that too.

I was starting to wonder about the machine type byte (second byte of the
IDPROM). It's currently set to 80 which seems to be something of a catchall
value. I'm wondering if it is wrong. Unfortunately the NVRAM FAQ appears to
not have been updated for quite some time.

Thanks..
John