[rescue] Octane won't talk to the outside world...

Christopher Purdy escher2 at chartermi.net
Fri Nov 19 06:26:35 CST 2010

I'll start with the obvious...

Are you using DHCP?

If not - do yo have a default route set?  How about your nameservers?

I've found SGI's DHCP implememtation to be a bit flakey and I manually
configure nameservers regardless.

Not sure of your experience level with *nix, but if you aren't familiar with
setting up networking on a Irix box, it is pretty oldschool if you aren't
using DHCP...

read the man pages on hosts, nsswitch.conf, and route...

In general - you need to add a default route to your router IP
route -add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then add your ISP's DNS servers to your hosts file

and then modify your nsswitch.conf to use DNS.

There are some more steps in there but its been a while... I got lazy and
started using DHCP and just adding my DNS servers manually.

- Chris