[rescue] FS: Quad-Proc Opteron workstation (new sunhelp.org server drive!)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Nov 9 00:06:43 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 05:06:43PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> 1) Did you ever find a buyer? It sounds like you got some gifts that offset
> (to some extent) the need to sell this box right now...

I've got some people interested, but nothing concrete yet.  I'm out of the
need to immediately sell it.

> 2) Do you have an actual weight for the system? The shipping estimate of $150
> seems extremely high - FedEx Ground will pick-up the box at your end and
> deliver it to my zip code for $61 if it is 75 pounds, $80 if it weighs 100
> pounds...

FedEx Ground will ALWAYS be cheaper than UPS. 8-)  I can get an actual
weight in a day or two.

> You have an 8 core, 8 Gig RAM system that runs on less than 450 Watts? That
> seems pretty good from where I'm sitting - is it the noise that pushes this
> system out of the running?

4 core (two CPU), 8 gig RAM.  It's the noise and power draw compared to a
"modern" quad-core box that doom it.

> I have no need for the system myself, but assuming you have the packaging from
> when you bought the case, shipping it should be quite affordable...

Unfortunately I don't have that box either.

> That would bs a nice system to run a bunch of small VMs on, but I already have
> a couple such systems.

I run a lot of VMs under VirtualBox on its "sister" system, which has 16G
of RAM and Opteron 280s and is my main Ubuntu desktop when I'm not on the
Mac.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford