[rescue] FS: Quad-Proc Opteron workstation (new sunhelp.org server drive!)

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Nov 8 11:02:27 CST 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, John Lengeling wrote:

>> It has five (four up front, one in the PSU) of those, and they aren't
>> throttled.
>
> Why isn't the chassis firmware slowing the fans down to normal operating
> speed?   Isn't the fan's speed software controlled?

Normal operating speed is within some epsilon of 100%, if it's like so
many Sun 1U systems of that era.  The rationale is that they go in the
datacenter, not in your office.  The first time I turned one on, I had
people buzz by my office from the other end of the floor to ask what all
the noise was about.

> I had a V215 running it's fans at pegged 100%/12000RPM, but a chassis
> firmware needed to be upgraded to fix the problem.

That'd have been nice on the V210s that $ork has.  Of course, LOMlite not
being a crapheap would've also been nice.

--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu