[rescue] FS: Quad-Proc Opteron workstation (new sunhelp.org server drive!)

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Nov 8 09:34:58 CST 2010

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/437365-fan-dc-axial-12v-40x28-tac-out-ffb0412shn-f00.html

> It has five (four up front, one in the PSU) of those, and they aren't
> throttled.

"13000 RPM" - wow!

In my most recent home PC build, I used 120mm case fans with SFD bearings
running at a mere 1200RPM fans.  The power supply is a 90%+ efficient unit
which has low-RPM 80mm fans that only run when they need to, and at the
speeds they need to.  13000 RPM 40mm fans have to be seriously loud... I
wonder if you could inline some resistors to slow them down and still have
acceptable cooling?

- nate