[rescue] FS: Quad-Proc Opteron workstation (new sunhelp.org server drive!)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Nov 7 17:33:07 CST 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 03:02:11PM -0800, stephen price wrote:
> Just out of idle curiousity - what will the new server look like?

I've specced this out so far:

CASE: Antec Sonata Proto No Power Supply ATX Mid Tower Case ($60)
PS: Corsair 430-Watt Builder Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply ($45)
Motherboard/CPU Bundle (from MicroCenter): $109.98 + tax
	CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 (will unlock to X4) 560 Black Edition
	MB: Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H Socket AM2+ 760G mATX Motherboard
RAM: Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3 ($67)

I already have a DVD burner and 1TB HD here, and the onboard video on
the motherboard will work fine since I will be running either Solaris x86,
Ubuntu Server, or straight Debian.

As for bandwidth, the only reasonable option around here is Comcast
Business Class, which will run $100 setup and about $85/month for a 12/2
line with 5 static IPs.  The way U-Verse does static IPs would be a huge
pain, while with Comcast its a straight bridge (and Business class lines
have no silly 250G cap).

I'm not planning on evicting ANY of my users or any of the sites I host - I
made a committment, and I'm sticking to it.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas