[rescue] largest system I've owned

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Fri May 28 14:15:48 CDT 2010

On Fri, 28 May 2010, Richard wrote:

> > > They had more stuff too, I just didn't bid on those lots.  IIRC, there
> >
> > I'm with Richard, I've been to this facility twice now.
>
> Did you get your stuff through dovebid too?

Yah, and will again. The process isn't too painful (although the fact the
end-time of the auction will extend if there's bidding in the last few
minutes I find truly aggravating, but that's only from a "Fixed" eBay
point of view, I suppose, it more realistically mimics a real auction).
Plus Harry at Boeing is a damned fine chap and helpful, too.

> I'm envious of your 6-rack Onyx :-)

I worshipped my friend's Origin2000 rack - 32x R14ks. "HeatDeath" it was
named. When these came up.. I wasn't sure where I was going to put them,
but I knew I had to have them. Thankfully my wife is understanding.

> It would be really cool to get enough Onyx 2K racks to configure them
> with the Cray metarouter, but I hear the metarouters are extremely
> scarce.

Agreed. At maximum I have 48 processors, which is well below Rack Router
maximum capabilities, and I got all of the CrayLink cables to go with,
which is nice.
But, as you say, it'd be nice to have the full deal. Maybe we'll see one
come out of Boeing eventually ;)
They had enough individual Onyx2 racks to certainly warrant one - but I
suspect they were broken up into small groups rather than all together.

 - JP