[rescue] largest system I've owned

brian_665 at internode.on.net brian_665 at internode.on.net
Thu May 27 22:13:09 CDT 2010

 All this talk about big iron and the problems people are having
powering it makes me wonder - has anybody had any problems with the
floor buckling under such large weights? Most domestic floors wouldn't
be stressed for them.

 cheers

 Brian Ross

 On Fri 28/05/10 11:00 , Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
sent:
 On Thursday 27 May 2010, Bill Bradford wrote:
 > Physically? either the 4/690MP (which was defunct, but I had a
great
 > time stripping it down to the rack and then selling the rack. What
 > awesome engineering and solid construction), or the VAX 6000, which
 > I was never able to power up and sold as-is when I moved.

 I ended selling it off by the rack, but I bought a 10-frame IBM SP
high
 node cluster (40 nodes total, each with 16x375MHz POWER3-II procs and

 16GB RAM). Total weight, about 21,000lbs.

 I still have one frame with two high nodes and 8 thin nodes that I'm
 planning on keeping.

 Next biggest thing (which I still have, and intend on getting running
at
 some point) is just a peripheral... IBM 3803 model 2 and 3 x 3420
model
 8 tape drives. That plus my IBM Multiprise/2003, 9343-C02 DASD and
3480
 (A22 and two B22 drive units) is my biggest single system, and is
spread
 over two floors of my house. :)

 Pat
 --