[rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed May 26 15:40:47 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 12:22:26AM -0400, Dave Fischer wrote:
> ian.finder at gmail.com writes:
>
> >Smoke and flame are not named for what they produce, although they can be used
> >to produce smoke and flame.
>
> >Smoke is an online nonlinear editor, Flame is a compositer.
>
> Oh. I always thought they were the specific plugins to something...
>
> What odd names. Is there some historic connection to smoke/flame/etc
> effects?

I suspect the names were picked to be dramatic.

Flint/Flame/Inferno (low, middle, high end, although Inferno seems to be
being phased out).

Then for editing Smoke/Fire (but again, Fire has been discontinued,
since it took years after the Onyx was discontinued for another machine
to have the needed horse power).

Also, their render nodes, continuing the theme, are called Burn nodes.

They also had some others, like Toxic, Frost, Vapor, Lustre.

I'm certain that the names helped convey their image of power and
"coolness", and thus certainly helped their business.