[rescue] Sun Fire v480

James C james at frantech.ca
Tue May 25 15:19:57 CDT 2010

Anybody have experience with using one of these machines? I've got
FreeBSD 8 installed on it right now and it works like a charm. However
I'm unlucky enough to be stuck with a buggy centreplane and the onboard
ethernet (2x Sun Cassini) is useless, which is a real shame because it's
Gbit.

I want to rack it up but the datacenter I have racks at only gives me 15
amps per rack. Documentation lists 8.6A max usage under load for this
box, but I doubt it's actually using anywhere nearly that much, even
with 4 CPUs and 16GB RAM. If somebody has one and a way to check the
amperage usage I'd appreciate it, I haven't got a good ammeter handy
(the one I have is horribly horribly inaccurate).

I also haven't figured out a good way to reset the password on the RSC.
I'd assume it'd be quite easy through Solaris and Google backs me up on
that, but I haven't been able to get my Solaris install media to work
(or any other DVDs for that matter, even though it IS a DVD drive). If
somebody could enlighten me with this that'd be much appreciated as well!

--
James C.<james[at]frantech.ca>