[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue May 25 14:14:37 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:57:12PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> Just to redress the balance ... the Origin 2000 that $work got their
> hands on from a friendly pharmaceutical company had been previously
> installed, configured, and left alone except for the administrators
> logging and saying "Whee! 24 CPUs, 24G of memory, and 400G of disk
> space for _me_". Cancelled project apparently.
> It's not just the public sector that can waste money :)

The Origin 2000 that I adminned for $ENGINEERING_FIRM had apparently come
from Sony's motion picture division at the time.

We had a SGI tech out to service it at one point, and he told me that the
difference between a "SGI Origin 2000" and a "Cray Origin 2000" was how
many CPUs the system had.  If it had <32, the power-on banner said "SGI",
if it had >=32 it banner said "Cray".

I suppose that a 32-proc O2K would be the easiest way for me to get my own
"Cray" at home, since an EL92/94 is an impossibility.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas