[rescue] rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Tue May 25 11:22:56 CDT 2010

Mr. Bill said ...

> Yeah, but I have no way of getting an O2K home.  Plus, my
> goal here is to have a "beefy" SGI with a serial console; I'm
> not interested in graphics.

My late Tandem-badged Challenge L came home in a Honda Accord wagon, and
left in a Volvo 240 wagon.

It well qualified on the "beefy" front: up to 8 CPUs will fit, and up to 2
GB RAM.  IRIX being, as you well know, very low-footprint, memory-wise, 2
gigs is well on the way to being huge.  I once counted up how many disk
drives you could hook up, but I've forgotten.  Lots-and-lots.

> I just love watching 9600 baud as multi-CPU systems come up,
> for some reason.

You are not alone in this.  With the Challenge, you not only get to watch
the serial console, but you have the neat-o little bargraph display of CPU
usage.

-Shel