[rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun May 23 13:28:13 CDT 2010

On 05/22/10 23:08, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
> On May 22, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>
>> Also, can't Macs do all the Discreet Logic apps (Smoke/Flame) stuff now as fast as the old SGIs?
>

> If not faster.  I know my 2009 Mac book does ray tracing and other rendering work faster then any SGI I ever owned.  OS X is a good environment for video work.

I would venture to say that there may be one or two tricks that a top of
the line Tezro or Onyx 350 (with IR4) can do that no OS X system can do.
  For instance, composite together 2+ 2K video streams, then down
convert to letter boxed SD.

No question, in pretty much every way a top of the line Mac Pro is going
to be better, if you could configure it every way that you might want.
However, there is no supported way (possible no way at all) to do a
proper graphics memory to video path (let alone video to graphics
memory) without tying up the main bus, nor is a MacPro capable of
holding enough IO.  That is why the really high end system are either on
Windows or Linux.