[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 90, Issue 31

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Sat May 22 08:27:41 CDT 2010

>> > what's the ss5-cray interface, sbus card?
>>
>> Thinwire Ethernet.
>>

> I thought it was HIPPI to the CS6400 and CM5? I have cobwebs between my ears
> on that these days.

For a J90, the master IOP (SPARC VME Processor board) boots the IOS
code over the thinwire Ethernet from the SS5, then the SS5 logs into
the IOS. Entering a command from the SS5 to the IOS causes the IOS to
load UNICOS from the SCSI disks attached to a VME controller, through
the VME IOBB (I/O Buffer Board) in to the Cray's memory, and then
starts the Cray processors. At this point a crtl-a will switch the SS5
between the IOS and Cray consoles.

--
Michael Thompson