[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri May 21 17:57:12 CDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010 08:06:55 -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 05/19/10 01:22, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> > ... It's the DoD who drops
> > $1,000,000 on a Sun box with 28 processors to run Sendmail, in
> > front of a cluster of exchange machines. The job, to que mail when
> > exchange is down, and to strip off the attachments that kill the
> > exchange server. Oh, and unwilling to run the free version of
> > sendmail, they buy a commercial version that has a license that
> > only supports 8 processors. So the fix is to turn off 20 of the
> > CPUs in the system.
>
> THE STUPID ...  IT BURNS.

Just to redress the balance ... the Origin 2000 that $work got their
hands on from a friendly pharmaceutical company had been previously
installed, configured, and left alone except for the administrators
logging and saying "Whee! 24 CPUs, 24G of memory, and 400G of disk
space for _me_". Cancelled project apparently.

It's not just the public sector that can waste money :)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 Most politicians think that "ethics" is a county in the south of