[rescue] Sunburst

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri May 21 14:18:29 CDT 2010

" From: <nate at portents.com>
"
" On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:02:11 -0400 (EDT), adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich
" Maker) wrote:
" > " From: gsm at mendelson.com
" > "
" > " []
" > "
" > " In some ways I'm surprised by MacOS, the Leopard scheduler degrades
" > nicely
" > " under load, even though it was designed for a single user workstation.
" >
" > did apple actually write it themselves, or did they inherit it with
" > the mach microkernel?  that would have roots in big iron.
"
" Avie Tevanian, former head of software at NeXT, Chief Software Technology
" Officer at Apple until 2006, was one of the original authors of the Mach
" kernel at CMU.  However what Apple evolved from the Mach kernel isn't
" really the quite the Mach kernel anymore, it's really the XNU kernel,
" because it's changed significantly in some ways.  (If I were to take a stab
" at one of the reasons OS X degrades gracefully under pressure, the I/O Kit
" driver architecture is probably a significant contributor, and is unique to
" the XNU kernel among operating systems.)  You can read more here:
"
" http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx//arch_xnu.html

aha!  thanks.

i see that mach 3.0 is still in there, and freebsd, and it does appear
to use the mach scheduler.

from my low-level knowledge of programming, the i/o kit does indeed
look pretty clever - a natural match to the object-oriented paradigm.

" and there's a talk here:
"
" http://chaosradio.ccc.de/24c3_m4v_2303.html