[rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

Mike Wilbora mike.wilbora at gmail.com
Thu May 20 23:58:32 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:

> So I know someone in Richmond with a 4D/480VGX that needs a home. It's OLD
> SCHOOL, needs a home. It's very large though, uses 220/30 amp connection but
> doesn't really draw that much. It's R3000 33mhz x 8 + VGX graphics.

I doubt I'll ever have a setup capable of 220v/230a, although my lifelong
dream is to one day own a PDP-11. I do have a lot of space available though
(my basement is empty and unfinished and my roommates aren't using
anything). I am as interested in the preservation of these types of machines
as I am in using them. I am not sure if I could use it, but if its that or
he is going to throw it away, I'd definitely take it. (Provided it could fit
in a 4Runner)

I've got a ton of spare parts for the Onyx. Probably a full 2nd video card
> set, extra quad CPU card or three, SCSI cards. Maybe FDDI network board,
> don't remember. I might be willing to give it away to a good home. It's not
> a desktop system though, it's a deskside endtableish thing. Proper use of it
> requires a 15 amp dedicated 110 volt feed, so it's not lightweight in power
> consumption.
>
> Video card set should be a Reality Engine 2.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Onyx
>
> Nice boxes tho.
>
> Add a keyboard + mouse, and get a cable to hook it to a monitor that can
> handle the resolution and it should work.

Being in the basement, I do have a dedicated 15amp 110v circuit. Honestly
this would be like exactly the type of thing I am looking for. In addition
to assembly programming, another of my interests is multithreaded
applications/distributed computing and things like MPI and PVM.

And frankly, the thought of being able to operate a relative 'supercomputer'
and having access to it whenever I want makes me a bit giddy. :)

I appreciate anything you'd do for me, and I'd definitely drive down there
and buy you a beer/dinner.

I think I'm going to like being a member of this list.
-Mike