[rescue] Sun Blade 1500 firmware password

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Thu May 20 09:19:24 CDT 2010

--- On Thu, 5/20/10, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> Uh, this doesn't work on an Ultrasparc machine that I've
> tried it on.
> Have you tried it on anything newer than Sun4m?

I did it on an Ultra 2 once. It worked fine.

> A better way to do it for machines with a socketed NVRAM
> chip is to pull
> the chip, and boot a different model of machine with the
> chip in - it'll
> recognize that something is wrong and erase the chip for
> you.

That's a good idea - I hadn't thought of that.

> Trying the "hot plug" chip method on Ultrasparcs has only
> got me busted
> NVRAM chips in the end.

Really? Huh, well, maybe newer stuff is more picky than the old ones, but I've never once had a problem with hot-plugging the NVRAM. But, I was always working with sun4m machines, with the exception of one Ultra2.

-Ian