[rescue] Sun Blade 1500 firmware password

Brian Ross brian_665 at internode.on.net
Thu May 20 07:25:41 CDT 2010

I have acquired a Sun Blade 1500 (one of the red ones) but everytime I
try and get it to boot off the dvd-rom to start installing solaris it
asks for a firmware password.  I don't have the firmware password.

Does anybody have any idea on how to reset the firmware password?
Preferrably something simple and doesn't require pulling the nvram chips
while the beast is running or other seemingly silly ideas I've found on
the web.

cheers

Brian