[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Wed May 19 15:26:21 CDT 2010

> So the question is, coming out of the late-90s, why didn't SGI crush
> Sun in the high-end server niche?

SGI had no Oracle love?

No one gets fired for buying Sun?

> I think it was largely the popularity of Solaris versus IRIX.

Yes!

> And some of that can be traced to Sun being hobbyist-friendly.

Not sure about that. Sun got hobbyist friendly after they had faded some.

In the early days neither were hobbyist friendly, but Sun did start to
give away the OS / sell it for cheap. The rumor I heard was there was a
bunch of licensed stuff in IRIX (bru, other stuff) that made it hard for
them to really sell it cheap.

  > > (What was the price of an E10K versus a
comperable Origin-2000?) >

Where I worked our Origin 3800 was about $2,900,000 I think.
But I don't remember how much of a system that was. It was finally 96 proc
64GB of RAM with 7.2TB of disk (on 80 or 100 disks with a FC RAID unit).
But I'm not sure if that price was for all of that.

--
: FLICKR   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole :