[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon May 10 15:02:14 CDT 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 09:06:24 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse wrote:
> > It does have the merit of creating archives that are very portable.
>
> Significantly less so if you use GNU-tar-specific features such as
> incremental mode.  Possibly no worse than dump, though, and, if you're
> using Linux, quite possibly not enough so to matter.

Unless gnu tar does something very odd indeed, the archive created
using incremental mode is just as portable as any other archive.
Certainly the star manual page doesn't warn about incremental backups
and it's usually pretty good about warnings.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
'I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my