[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Mon May 10 09:42:05 CDT 2010

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 05/10/10 08:24, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>> Only somewhat on topic here, I use an app called splitpipe (
>> http://ds9a.nl/splitpipe/ ) to handle streamers that don't segment
>> nicely.  It does a pretty nice job.  Basically just a piece of plumbing
>> that I insert in my pipeline.
>>
>> I actually use it for splitting "zfs sends" to dvd sized chunks, which I
>> then stream them to cdrecord.
>>
>> Works nice.
>>

> Out of not-idle curiosity ...  how do you capture the 'zfs send' to
> split it up this way?

I guess I lied - I'm not using cdrecord, but rather growisofs.

Nevertheless - here is an example of how I am using it.

    #!/bin/sh

    # this script takes stdout from zfs send and shoves it through a
    pipe into
    # splitpipe. Splitipe will chunk it into DVD size chunks.
    # $1 is the zfsfs at snapshot

    zfs send $1 | splitpipe -n -s dvd -o 'growisofs -speed=16 -Z
    /dev/rdvd=/dev/stdin'

As you can see - I could zfs send to tape, floppy, cd or some other medium.

/M