[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Mon May 10 07:24:43 CDT 2010

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 11:05:50AM -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>
>> Why won't (GNU) tar work?  It does everything that you say you are
>> wanting.
>>

> Well, yes and no.
>
> Tar doesn't have code to cope with filesystems that are changing
> as they're being read.
>
> It runs in userspace instead of reading the raw device.
>
> While it has some incremental backup capabilities, it's not readily
> usable in the same way that dump's incrementals are.  Yeah, you can
> wrap some shell around it and get close, but it's awkward.
>
> It doesn't know how to split its output across multiple volumes.

Only somewhat on topic here, I use an app called splitpipe (
http://ds9a.nl/splitpipe/ ) to handle streamers that don't segment
nicely.  It does a pretty nice job.  Basically just a piece of plumbing
that I insert in my pipeline.

I actually use it for splitting "zfs sends" to dvd sized chunks, which I
then stream them to cdrecord.

Works nice.

/M