[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 20:45:17 CDT 2010

On May 7, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> Interesting information about Redmond's latest installer. Sadly when
> I installed windows 7 I still had to do the triple reboot though, so
> they haven't gone beyond that yet.

The reboot thing doesn't bother me too  much, I focus on clock time,
I'm not too concerned about what my Octo-core, eight gigabyte monster
does during the install...

As I recall, they load a bootstrap installer, collect a trivial amount
of info, reboot and lay down a complete system image in one fell
swoop, then reboot again to finalize driver installation.

I recently installed Cannonical's latest effort, Ubuntu 10.4 32-bit
desktop in a VM and was suprised to see it go out and download some
bits before it gave control of the system over to me... I think it was
some language packs, but I'm not positive...

Lionel