[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Fri May 7 13:09:04 CDT 2010

> About the time SGI started shipping XFS as the primary filesystem for
> IRIX, they beefed up the capacitors in the power supplies and added a
> closely-coupled hardware/kernel feature wherein the power supply would
> signal a pin upon external loss of power.  The kernel handler for that
> interrupt would dedicate all remaining CPU time to making XFS consistent
> enough on-disk to survive the experience.

I remember my IRIX machines logging (over serial) "POWER LOSS" or
something crazy.

First time I saw that I was thinking "No... they couldn't have?"

Pretty slick, I didn't know it did anything with the file system, just
remember it talking over serial before it died.

--
: FLICKR   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole :