[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 7 11:13:30 CDT 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> And let me toss in a plug here for OpenBSD, my OS of choice.  It has a
>> sensible -- that is, *minimal* -- installer, it runs well on old
>> hardware, and the releases come out like clockwork.
>
> How is it on 8-16 core machines, and what is the story with file systems
> these days?

OpenBSD's multiprocessor support isn't quite as pervasive (or low-latency)
as FreeBSD's is.  However, I've not yet had the joy of trying OpenBSD 4.7
on actual hardware.

OpenBSD's filesystem is still FFS.  There's been some talk about porting
HAMMER from DragonflyBSD, but ZFS is unlikely to ever happen because of
Oracle's patents on several key aspects of ZFS.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi