[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Fri May 7 09:57:08 CDT 2010

> Red Hat or XFS?  And if XFS, out of curiosity, what were the problems?

XFS. They chose it because at the time it was the only thing that could
meet their performance. They had issues with kernel panics at random, and
it was difficult getting a solution. Obviously speeds increased on systems
in that budget.

> About all I recall having heard about XFS compared to other filesystems
> is that it's optimized for sustained streaming reads and great for
> things like video, but deletes are very slow compared to most other
> filesystems (though not as slow or as demanding of CPU as Reiser).

It met their speed needs, which was likely to be writing data coming from
scientific equipment. Just a steady stream of info for a few days at a
time.

--
: FLICKR   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole :