[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 06:00:48 CDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 7:41 PM, "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:

> It took TWO DAYS to get CentOS to install
> on a system with 96MB of mainstore -- an embarrassment considering
> what was standard a few years ago.

A few years ago? That sounds like a Windows 2000-era system, I NEVER
saw a Windows XP system offered with less than 128 Meg of RAM...

Having questioned that casual remark, I will agree that a two day
install is nonsense. It is obvious the installer is being expected to
do a lot of heavy lifting, which runs counter to Redmond's latest
installer design which simply lays down a several Gig system image as
if it were a backup system image, almost as one big file that loads
very quickly.

The closest I came to an install that took that long was a freebsd
install that was performed over a 14.4K dial-up modem from a boot/
install floppy on a 386 machine, but the issue there was the download
time...

Lionel