[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Thu May 6 19:01:34 CDT 2010

ZFS was going to be my next big FS move for general use, but who knows now
that Oracle controls it.

My experience with JFS on AIX boxes has been pretty positive, and I must admit
that AIX/JFS is the combination that dragged me out of the dark ages to become
a LVM user. Never used JFS for Linux - I went from ext2 very happily over to
XFS when it came out and haven't looked back.

XFS on Linux is stable and reasonably current (though not as current as ZFS),
and it's pretty fast, my bottleneck is hardware rather than the FS (though
with my hardware that's not saying much). I guess the big reason I haven't
tried JFS is that, without the associated/integrated LVM, there didn't seem to
be much of a reason to switch.

Thought I'd chime in since there weren't any pro-XFS posts (yet), and it's a
good FS. Granted, there weren't many options at the time (Reiser was never
good enough for me to want to risk, and ext3 was a kludge on a kludge).