[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Thu May 6 08:31:44 CDT 2010

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Depends what you're using it for.  A Linux box on JFS makes a perfectly
> fine server for mail, web, DNS...
>
> I will unhesitatingly agree that ZFS is Teh New Hawtness, and is THE
> filesystem to have on a storage server.  (Well, it's more than a
> filesystem, but you know what I mean.)  I love it.  But there's plenty
> of jobs that can be done perfectly well without it.  Right now, every
> Linux box in the house is built on JFS, and I can't really see myself
> ever going back to ext*.

..and I suppose that was my last experience.  I was trying to construct
a high(-ish) performance, low cost, low power consumption system that
would be a backing store for a vmware ESXi system with snapshots and raid.
The only thing that seemed to allow me to do these things was ZFS.  I
suppose this could have been ZFS on FreeBSD, but I think the ice is thin
on that pond yet.

Looking forward to btrfs some year soon....maybe.

/M