[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 6 08:14:30 CDT 2010

On 05/06/10 09:06, Mark Brown wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> It's nearly as fun to watch the old farts on this list bitch about Linux
>> and how it's not "production capable" as it is to listen to from people
>> at work.
>>
>> Pat
>>

> I'm 38, I'm not old!   :-)
>
> Agreed Linux is fine as a general purpose server, but without a
> filesystem like ZFS, it's still in the dark ages.

Depends what you're using it for.  A Linux box on JFS makes a perfectly
fine server for mail, web, DNS...

I will unhesitatingly agree that ZFS is Teh New Hawtness, and is THE
filesystem to have on a storage server.  (Well, it's more than a
filesystem, but you know what I mean.)  I love it.  But there's plenty
of jobs that can be done perfectly well without it.  Right now, every
Linux box in the house is built on JFS, and I can't really see myself
ever going back to ext*.

> Had Sun releasesed ZFS as GPL.... I may have become a penguin fanboy.

Well, when it's eventually production-ready, btrfs is *INTENDED* to
offer much the same functionality.  We'll see whether that actually
happens.  I never drank the ReiserFS Kool-Aid; for starters, I know too
many people first-hand who had Reiser filesystems crash.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.