[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed May 5 20:42:03 CDT 2010

Carl asked, "Does anybody really have any proper intelligence on what the
roadmap for SPARC and Solaris is...?"

   We got a bit of the larger dog-and-pony show that's on this week and next
around the country. The gist of what *I* understood is, the lowest-end x86
gear is doomed, the higher-end SPARC stuff will be kept as will the T2xx0 and
T5xx0. The 7000-series storage stuff is safe, and tape... Hey, where are you
going? Tape is still exciting!

   The continued support of the 7000-series boxes interests me since they're
OpenSolaris under the hood. Unless they plan to radically reengineer them --
and risk losing some of the performance & instrumentation -- then OpenSolaris
seems to have a safe hidey-hole for a while.

-- Will