[rescue] FS: Timex Sinclair 1000 in original box, mostly complete, with TS 2040 printer

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed May 5 10:09:05 CDT 2010

In article <F1D63BA2-65D4-4AFD-AC30-9280CD49D2BE at cabal.org.uk>,
    Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>  writes:

> On 5 May 2010, at 01:48, Richard wrote:
> > [...] At some point
> > my father got a ZX81 for me thinking it was going to be just what I
> > wanted.  Shitty keyboard.  The "kit" version consisted of soldering on
> > the RF converter and perhaps 1 capacitor.  Software video refresh
> > meant that even FOR I=1 TO 100:NEXT I would cause your video to just
> > drop out.
>
> That's the ZX80. The ZX81 had SLOW and FAST modes. It was still software
> refresh, but in SLOW mode it would always show the display and squeeze useful
> processing into the vertical blanking, whereas FAST mode was like the ZX80.

SLOW is an apt description.  Even more of a joke than "FAST" mode.

> you still have to admire the sheer ingenuity of hardware reuse to cost-reduce
> it [...]

No, I don't have to admire something so stripped down as to be useless
in order to fit into a magic price-point.  It was exactly that aspect
of seduction that caused my father to purchase this doorstop.  What
good is saving money on a computer if you never use it?  Then its 100%
wasted, not 10% saved.