[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 20:18:41 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Michael Thompson
<michael.99.thompson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06/29/2010 10:49 AM, John Floren wrote:
>>> It looks like I'll be buying a Sun Fire V210 this afternoon; two
>>> 1.34GHz processors, 4 GB of RAM for $50, plus a 300 GB hard drive I
>>> picked up from a friend. At the price there's no way I can resist.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering about your opinions on running Solaris 9 vs Solaris 10
>>> vs, say, FreeBSD. How would the Oracle takeover affect my use of
>>> Solaris 10 for personal use, for example?
>>
>> I would recommend giving OpenSolaris a shot, if you are up to the
>> install challenge.
>
> If you intend to run a graphical desktop on this system, the graphics
> board support in OpenSolaris is extremely limited.
>
> Michael Thompson

As luck would have it, the system came with an XVR-100 graphics board,
which I may look into enabling. However, given the sheer noise of this
beast, I'm not sure I want it anywhere near my desktop.

Right now, it looks like I'll be going with either FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

John
--
"With MPI, familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt and nausea. Contempt,
nausea, and fear. Contempt, nausea, fear, and .." -- Ron Minnich