[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

Andrew Sporner asporner at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 29 16:55:55 CDT 2010

Hi

This almost seems like flamebait, but I will take it otherwise.

I have been working with FreeBSD and NetBSD for over 10
years and in that time I have NEVER had a blue screen (OK
there isn't such a thing) or any such instability.   As far as
API stability, well what you say can certainly be said of Linux
without question!   However the BSD's have had a pretty
consistant API.  The only really "big" change I remember from
FreeBSD was going to threads in 5.0, which was in 2000.

My work has been mostly kernel in the last 10 years working
on clustering systems and filesystem replication.

I can say from the standpoint of direct observation, that FreeBSD
on my old hardware boots much faster and is much more elastic
(the time it takes to start new processes) than I found Solaris 10
on the same hardware.

When one considers that a great amount of the servers keeping the
internet working today are running BSD, it isn't really fair to say that
they are instable.

Cheers

Andy